Monday, October 8, 2012

kisses and hugs

“Kisses and hugs, spiders and bugs”. I love that phrase. i repeated it to myself the entire time while knitting this square. I’m not a fan of lace, and although it isn’t much, it was enough lace to reinforce exactly what I don’t like about lace. I do like the spiders and bugs bits, ‘though. And the x’s and o’s were also cute. Easy enough that I didn’t really need to think about what to do to make them, and the embossed leaves are also really pretty.
Now, to the important bits. What, pray tell, is a ridge. You use this term assuming that everyone knitting knows exactly what you mean. I’m sorry, that is not the case. I can look at the picture and see that there’s garter stitch at the top and bottom (and on the sides), but I don’t just instinctively know what a ridge is. The point of this: my first mistake. I see, “Knit 3 ridges”. I see garter stitch at the bottom of the square. I think, “1 ridge is 1 row of garter stitch”. How this equates, I don’t know. I didn’t really think it through that far. But I know that garter stitch will create ridges, so I figure the pattern is written in such a way as to make sense, and make the proper thing when it’s done. My mistake.

Important information

1 ridge is 2 rows of garter stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment